- Rich, fatty foods (turkey skins, gravy, etc,) can contribute to pancreatitis. This inflammation of the digestive gland is painful and can be serious--requiring emergency veterinary assistance.
- Cooked bones can splinter and cause tears or obstruction in a pet's digestive tract.
- Never feed your dog raw or undercooked meat, poultry or eggs. Just like humans, they are susceptible to bacteria-causing food poisoning.
- Baking strings, if ingested, can create trouble if ingested by your pet.
- Onions in holiday stuffing can lead to canine anemia if consumed by your dog.
- Grapes and raisin toxins can cause kidney failure in pets.
- Ingesting chocolate can kill your pet.
- Caffeine and alcohol are also toxic for pets.
- Keep all goodies out of reach!
To keep your pets busy and entertained during dinner time, treat them to a frozen kong filled with some of their favorite treats, peanut butter, yogurt or pumpkin. A frozen kong will keep them busy while you and your guests enjoy a nice, puppy-dog eye free meal!
Pet Haven wishes you a very happy Thanksgiving!