Saturday, February 7, 2009

Meet Black aka Mr. Gorgeous


Today at our dog adoption event, I had the chance to be surrounded by Pet Haven adoptable dogs, of all sizes, breeds, mixes, energy levels and personalities. Today, I also had the opportunity to meet "Black", an 8 month old lab/husky mix, who is being surrendered to Pet Haven because his loving guardian's home is being foreclosed on and they are unable to keep him. As I knelt down on the floor to pet Black and to get doggie kisses I engaged in a conversation with his guardian -- in seconds, it was apparent how much she loves him and spoke of him like a proud mama. Her eyes sparkled as she spoke of how perfect he was ... I was hugging Black and noticing how soft his coat felt and how shiny it was and how it seemed like he had just had a bath (but no, that's how he always smells! ;-) For an 8 month old his energy level was surprisingly calm. He's great with other dogs, adults and kids of all ages.

Pet Haven is definitely feeling the effects of the economy and the increasing numbers of foreclosures as our intake coordinator shares with me today how her inbox is full of pleas for help. I engaged in conversation with Black's mom as we stepped outside to take some photos. My heart goes out to Black and his mom. I am glad Pet Haven can step in and help this sweet boy. I only wish I could make things better for Black's family. If I didn't already have a house filled with 3 beautiful big black dogs I would snag this dog :)

Black has just come into Pet Haven's foster program so he is not yet up on our website. His current mom can only keep him till 2/23 so we are needing a foster for him. He is crate trained, housebroken and has an incredibly sweet disposition -- great with dogs, adults and kids. Please help us give some comfort to Black's current mom as she makes one of the hardest decisions in her life. If you are able to foster Black, or are interested in putting an application in for Black please email pethavendogs@yahoo.com.

No comments: